Written by Jenn Waters, Assistant Publisher & Digital Media Manager at CustomNEWS
Has your live event moved to a virtual platform, or been canceled or postponed due to COVID-19? Are you developing contingencies in hopes that your late summer or fall event can move forward, but know things may be different? Here are some ideas to showcase content and generate non-dues revenue through digital publishing.
Ideas for Virtual Meetings
- Create a daily digital publication to serve as your virtual conference’s program book.
- Promote daily educational offerings with digital content.
- Highlight the virtual exhibit hall to get your audience engaged.
- Use content to connect exhibitors with their target audience – your members and attendees.
- Provide cost-effective advertising opportunities for exhibitors.
Ideas for Cancelled Meetings
- Showcase content that was to be shared – interviewing speakers is a great option.
- Create a publication series to spotlight each topic featured in your session tracks.
- Provide ad space so exhibitors don’t miss out on reaching their target audience.
- Keep your organization top-of-mind: remind readers about future events.
Ideas for Fall 2020 or Postponed Meetings
- Distribute multiple versions of a digital preview issue to keep attendees updated on planning efforts, what to expect, etc., as they look forward to your upcoming event.
- Replace your program book with a daily convention newspaper: less staff time required; overnight printing allows for daily updates; incorporate the exhibitor directory.
- Thank exhibitors and sponsors with a special section in your print and digital show daily.
- Share content via multiple channels to reach those unable to attend.
Ideas for Hybrid Events
- Create a digital-only daily publication for the virtual component of your conference.
- Offer a platform for exhibitors to connect with virtual attendees through content and advertising.
- Sell and distribute sponsored e-blasts to connect exhibitors with their target audience, without impacting your organization’s distribution lists.
All of these options can be integrated with your virtual events platform, event app, or event website.
Jenn Waters is Assistant Publisher & Digital Media Manager at CustomNEWS.